Rebirth of Linux?
Could XP's demise be the best thing to ever happen to Linux?
With Windows XP now gone the way of the dodo, unless you're a government department or have a few billion pounds spare to persuade Microsoft to support you for a while longer, users of this aged operating system are looking to transfer their attentions elsewhere. Microsoft naturally has the situation covered with various upgrades to Windows 8.1 or even Windows 7 at a push.
Name:  linux rebirth with xp.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  23.3 KB

However, that would in general call for a hardware upgrade in most user's cases. Other alternatives have included a total abandonment of Microsoft in favor of Apple's wares, but again the money phantoms have shaken their chains, and the poor user is left remortgaging the house or selling their organs for medical science.

Linux, therefore, could very well be the answer. Indeed, in an upcoming issue we'll be covering in more detail what Linux distros are most favorable for the XP refugee. But aside from that, what is the true benefit that the end of XP will have on the Linux community?

To Boldly Go...

To most current users of XP, the end of support for their operating system will leave them in a state of limbo - what to do now and naturally they'll look to Microsoft, since it's held their hands for this long already. What Linux needs to do is get the message across more clearly than it already is.

So far, the whole 'life after XP' stance has been to elaborate on a few popular distros, and we're guilty of that ourselves as well, but that's not going to give the casual users or the users who don't really know what to do a good chance at trying out an alternative operating system. I admit I don't know how to best advertise the benefits of Linux to a new user other than the people I already know and by writing a few articles on it, and I certainly can't force an operating system onto someone.

With XP now no longer supported, the Linux community (or rather Canonical since it has the biggest casual user base in the community) need to get their act together and start promoting the use of Ubuntu to the casual user more. If they're happy to waste money on vapourware phones, then surely getting a deal with a high-street retailer will earn more in the long run? And before you get all 'Ubuntu isn't that good' on me, yes I know it's not great, and there are a thousand other Linux distros that are far better, but considering Canonical is the only vocal and up-front company to put Linux on the tongues of users, it's a good start in the Linux world.

So can Ubuntu and Canonical rise to the XP aftermath challenge and put its OS on the desktops of these users? Perhaps it could buy a list of every XP user in the world and send them a free DVD with Ubuntu on? Doubtful, but it'd be interesting to see the results if it did.