Thread: Crosses on my galaxy s3 phone are wet, is this warranty failure

ΑΡ Credit

Crosses on my galaxy s3 phone are wet, is this warranty failure

Hello, AP users,This is my first post on this forum. Do not know whether this post is in correct section or not. i am in real trouble situation. My Galaxy S3 phone has suddenly stopped working. It neither switches on nor charges up, even i have changed a new battery. It's only nine months old. So it's under warranty with the shop (or maybe directly with Samsung), but inside the battery compartment I've noticed a white square (attaching in my post). This has blue crosses on it, and a friend tells me this indicates water damage. That's odd, as I'm sure the phone's never been near water. Will this invalidate my warranty?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crosses on my galaxy s3 phone is this warranty failure.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	1974  

ΑΡ Credit
    Yes, the white square is a water indicator. On Galaxy phones, there are usually two one in the battery compartment, which you've found, and another deep in the guts. Samsung's batteries often have one, too.

Water indicators do normally have crosses on them (or some similar shape). On every Galaxy I've seen, they've been blue, but some manufacturers like Sony Xperia they use red line. It makes no odds. When water comes into contact, the ink runs and bleeds out, turning the white square into a solid, uniform color. As your crosses are intact, Ben, you should be fine to put in a claim.

However, be aware that, like your friend, some assistants in phone shops even those operated by the major networks appear to be confused. I've heard of instances where the presence of crosses has resulted in warranty claims being turned down flat. Some people are clearly taking the crosses as an alert a logical assumption, perhaps, but one that shows shocking ignorance (or blatant lying) from certain members of the industry.

Some devices, notably iPhones, have water indicators near the sync/charge port or headphone socket. A color change again, usually blue or red - can therefore be seen without disassembly.