Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
How to disable these Windows 8 features

Thread: How to disable these Windows 8 features

ΑΡ Credit

How to disable these Windows 8 features

I'm one of the few people I know who actually likes Win*dows 8, including the new look and menus. Coming from mobile devices as my main source of internet access. I purchased a laptop, as I needed a bit more flexibility, the ability to properly download things and the ability to use PC programs (mainly due to an Open University course). I don't have previous experience of Windows, which I guess has helped me avoid much of the hate this version has collected.

As much as I like the system, though, there are a couple of things I don't like: mainly the pop-up menu that appears along the right-side of the screen. Although I'm sure some many find it useful, I don't and it just gets in the way. It seems to always pop up at the worst times like trying to drag windows or open programs from the desktop, and this means I accidentally open something else, as I click on the bar, instead of what I want.

I've asked around about this and have been told that I can use a classic interface program to change the way Windows 8 looks and operates, but I don't want to do this. For one I like Windows 8 for the most part (well, Windows 8.1 now, after I updated) and I don't want to install extra software if I don't need to. I certainly don't want to pay for a program just to get rid of a single item.

I was hoping you could help me avoid this and would reveal some way to disable or remove this feature without extra software.

ΑΡ Credit

The Charms bar can be disabled with a simple properties option within Windows

Although Windows 8 has hardly won praise from veteran Windows users, it does cater well to users who are used to mobile operating system with touch-screen interfaces. Indeed, that's what Microsoft was aiming for, and to turn the usually complex Windows interface into a simple mobile GUI was one of the goals.

This has resulted in a very polarising OS, and in turn has led to the creation of a host of tools that restore the old Windows interface. I understand your reluctance to pay for extra software, although many of the programs that can help in this regard are actually free. Still, installing a whole program for a minor niggle may be a little overkill. Luckily, it's not a concern here, as you can disable the Charms bar, which is the menu bothering you, using Windows' own options.

All you need to do is right* click on the Start bar at the bottom of the screen and select Properties. Next, click the Navigation tab and you'll see an option to disable the Charms bar display action.

Remove the tick next to the option 'When I point to the upper-right corner, show the charms', and this will stop the bar appearing accidentally when you move the cursor over the usual spot. You can also disable the left corner click that cycles between recent apps too, as well as using the option to go straight to the desktop on boot up, bypassing the Metro screen.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windows 8 taskbar settings.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	2190